Saturday, May 11, 2013

Wedding Photographer Tips - The Post Editing Blues

How often to you dread editing? Not because you aren't good at it or it's not your 'forte' But because of the hours you spend at your desk.... sitting? Truth be told, this isn't just tips for Wedding Photographers. Post Editing Blues happens in just about every post editing session. 

Now, I never dread editing. I am sure you don't either. Actually, the thought doesn't even enter my mind prior to editing my wedding photos, I love it THAT much! But the thought hits when I've been sitting at my desk for a few hours and I get up for a snack and my body gets so used to that darned sitting position that it pretty much cries when I get up. I feel all in knots and I am not even halfway through my post editing process. I am sure this is more common with wedding photographers as weddings yield a high volume of pictures to sift through. As I said, the post editing blues can effect anyone. Here are some tips to help you through it all. Use all of them or some of them. I have found them all to help me so I hope to pass on the help. As always, if you have tips, enjoyed these tips or have any comments or questions, please feel free to communicate! 

1. Stretch. Now wether you do this every morning, every night, before editing or all three this is quite important. Check out this site for 5 simple reasons why stretching is a good idea. One of them you will see leads to the reduction of stress. It's true for me that when stressed out it really blocks my creative communication. So stretching at least once a day and HIGHLY recommend before you sit down to edit. It's easy as going to youtube.com  for basic yoga stretches or you can get fancy and buy some DVD's or take up a yoga class or two to learn a few basic stretches. If you are still not sure what to do, feel free to contact me. 

2. Keep yourself in check if it's been more than an hour since you've gotten out of your chair, get up. Walk around or stretch some. I highly, HIGHLY, highly recommend taking a 5 - 10 min walk. Don't freak out! I know, you just shot a wedding Saturday and you have deadlines to meet and 'who has time for a walk?!' Trust me,  your body and your eyes will thank you! I also find it quite refreshing and clears my mind and keeps the creative flows going. It is also anther tip for stress relief.  If you can, try easy going work outs to keep your body fit. 

3. Keep away from junk food snacks! If any one is aware of how yummy junk food snacks are, it's me. But this will not help you in the long haul. I do recommend snacks of a heathy choice! Carrots, cucumbers, trail mix, protein bars, orange slices... you get my point. Think of food as your fuel, well... food is your fuel so know that putting in 'food' that is highly processed isn't really food, or food that your body needs. 

4. Get regular rest. Don't stay up until 4 am and sleep until 9 am just to get right back to it. This will not benefit you, your body nor your art. I am sure you've done it, we all have. Still got the job done, so whats the problem?  Well, I don't know about you but life feels just a tad bit more chaotic than when you are well rested. 

Picture of the day: 

There are my tips, hope they help! There is plenty of work out there but, in my opinion, you won't perform your best if you are letting your body, mind and spirt get out of shape. 


Here are some links to some motivational sites in regards to keeping your body in shape as well as a link to a youtube.com video that I use to work out with:

www.Twotri.com - For the beginner triathlete! Great motivation topics and easy tips for getting and staying in shape even if you aren't a triathlete.  I love it because regardless of what I am doing, this great couple always seems to find a way to motivate me. 

www.weightlossjules.com - This is another great site of motivation! It's a great journey of a gal who lost a ton of weight and is on a mission to help others do the same. I think she is doing a great job and between the two has helped me!

Here is the channel for videos on fitness: http://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender?feature=fvst

1 comment:

  1. Quite pleased to know about your photography services. I am planning to arrange my niece’s wedding and looking for excellent wedding venues NYC. Also wish to hire a talented wedding photographer to take perfect snaps of wedding.

    ReplyDelete